Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rebooting...

 If I intend to re-charge my life, I need to re-charge the vehicle that is carrying me through it. The old saying "treat your body like a temple" ...well, in the words of Jimmy Buffet, I've been treating mine "like a tent."

The IDEA of a cleanse is well ...cleansing.

I love the idea of expelling my body of all the toxins (love that jargon) accumulated from 28 years of processed foods still hanging around my colon. [Yuck].
I love the added bonus of potential weight loss. (I keep telling myself I'm just bloated ...)
I really love that I can re-charge my body and remind it what foods to crave. Currently my body always, always craves chips. Auntie Annie's Kettle Chips, Goldfish, Pita Chips, Cheetos....anything in a bag, that's salty, or perhaps served alongside a cup (I have standards) of queso. I want it to crave fruits and veggies, but why would it if I keep feeding it delicious processed foods?

However, reading about all the different types of cleanses was daunting: Let's see....
>I could just go cold turkey and FAST. Ummmm. no. For someone who loves food that seems horrific.
>I could do the odd cheyenne pepper, lemon juice and water. Awwwwchooo. No.
>I could take pills such as "the gentle cleanse" or the ones that are only advertised at 2:30 am on TV and endorsed by an actor wearing a starched doctor jacket. I was actually really tempted to do that one until I met a nice "Keep Austin Weird" type guy at Central Market whilst perusing the Natural Section of shampoos, toothpaste, lip balm.  When I asked him which one to buy he said "well, this one won't 'blow you out' too much."  With those 3 words of "blow you out" I have visions of me stuck on the pot for most of the day. Ha! I'm a multi-tasker and that just seemed too risky.

All of those thoughts were LAST summer. I told myself I didn't want to do this while teaching, so here we are again at this summer and I have finally found an option that I'm excited about.

In May, Eric and I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead: a documentary about an Australian man who comes to America for 60 days and all he eats are things he can make from a juicer.  He loads the thing with fresh fruits and veggies and goes on a "tour" if you will interviewing people about their eating habits. He lost over 150 pounds and felt great.

I like this because he was still "eating" ... charging his body fully of the fruits and veggies we don't get enough of in our American diets. So, I'm starting small and going to try the juicing/smoothie thing for 7 days. I went to Kroger and loaded up on the various fruits and veggies that go into these drinks.

Tonight will be my "last supper" and for someone who thinks about her next meal WHILE she is eating the current one, this will be interesting. Tomorrow is day one. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I will be an interested spectator as a fellow blogger. I support your conviction and desire to treat your body better. Good luck on both the blog and the cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world! I love the name, I love the topics and I can't wait to hear more. You are talented with words, I can't think of a better place for you to share your gifts!

    ReplyDelete